About Digimarc Discover®
The Kentucky Derby book features Digimarc Discover® technology (digital watermarking) for today’s rapidly expanding, tech-savvy audience. By incorporating Digimarc’s digital watermarks into the book, we bring race fans closer to a live action, virtual, first-person experience. It links the reader to thrilling race videos and fascinating archives of the people who make Derby history.
Scan a photo of Whirlaway and see and hear the call of the 1941 Kentucky Derby. Or hover your smart phone or tablet over the photo of the Derby’s most famous beverage and learn how to make a mint julep!
Digital watermarks are imperceptible digital data embedded in images that is readable by mobile phones and tablets, linking the reader to interactive multimedia content on the web.
To experience Digimarc Discover, follow these simple steps:
- DOWNLOAD the free app from the iTunes App Store or Google Play (simply search for “Digimarc”).
- LAUNCH the app and view the animated tutorial showing how it works.
- LOOK for the symbol throughout the book and point the phone at the center of the accompanying images (not the symbol). The app works best in well-lit areas.
- HOLD your phone about 4-6" away and parallel to the page, allowing the camera to focus. If you do not get an immediate connection, slowly adjust the distance from the page.
- EXPERIENCE print come to life.
Watch the Digimarc Video
Throughout the Kentucky Derby book, photographs containing the symbol (typically in the lower left of the image) provide the Digimarc Discover® user with bonus video content associated with the subject of the photograph, from dramatic film footage of famous Derby moments to a visit with a CEO (Chief Entertaining Officer), who will demonstrate how to make a sensational mint julep. Visitors to this website may also view the bonus video content at this link.
The Kentucky Derby book also provides Digimarc Discover® users with bonus content associated with the subjects of the text. Look for "Learn More" prompts throughout the book, as depicted above, to access additional content that extends the book's capability to explore the subject at hand, in a fashion that is virtually unlimited by linking the reader with online resources. To view the menu of "Learn More" subjects and the bonus content each provides, follow this link.